During day-to-day operations, we often don’t realize how crucial a commercial garage door is for the productivity, efficiency, and even safety of a business. From high-speed doors for busy warehouse facilities to fire doors in a school, a commercial garage door is a significant piece of equipment in the right setting.
As a residential and commercial garage door company servicing Lethbridge, Calgary, and Cranbrook, we offer commercial door installation, repair, and maintenance. Here are just a few benefits of having a commercial garage door for your facility.
The difference between a commercial and residential garage door
The biggest differences between a commercial and residential garage door are the size, opening capacity, and use. Residential garage doors are typically 7 feet high, which satisfies the clearance for storing vehicles. Commercial garage doors come in varying sizes to accommodate equipment and machinery, and can also depend on the usage and facility.
Commercial garage doors are also engineered to open and close all day long whereas residential garage doors are only meant to be used a few times a day. Residential garage doors are generally used to store vehicles while commercial garage doors can have many other uses, such as:
- Shipping and receiving
- Retail storefronts
- Automotive centres
- Service stations
- Fire stations
- Refrigeration and food handling
There are just a few examples of how commercial garage doors are used in various industries. Each application comes with many benefits, which we list below.
The benefits of a commercial garage door
1. Increased security – The commercial garage door opener locks the door when it’s in the down position and can only be lifted with a remote, a button on the inside of the building, or with a code if there is a keypad installed on the outside. Thanks to smart technology, you can now install a device that allows you to monitor door activity through your phone or other mobile devices.
2. Insulation – Most commercial overhead doors in Calgary are insulated to protect against cold and heat. This is especially beneficial for businesses storing goods that are sensitive to extreme weather. With a commercial door, indoor temperatures remain stable, which can also help with reduced energy consumption and utility bills.
3. Durability – Commercial overhead doors are made of durable materials to handle heavy everyday use. They are designed to endure bumps, scrapes, and harsh outdoor conditions. The commercial garage door opener is built to handle heavy use and constant lifting and shutting. With regular checks and maintenance, a commercial garage door and garage door opener can last for decades.
4. More space – Overhead commercial doors lift up with the mechanics stored above. Unlike a door that swings out, an overhead door frees up space. This is especially useful for businesses working with a small space, requiring additional space for loading and unloading or businesses that need to bring in inventory with forklifts, pallet jacks, and other equipment.
5. Safety = Commercial garage door openers come with many important safety features, including motion sensors, auto-reverse, and manual control. Because commercial garage doors are heavy-duty equipment that can cause serious injury, these safety features are highly regulated with strict compliance to protect the operator and others nearby.
Where to find commercial garage door installation
Contact us for all of your commercial garage door needs. We offer commercial garage door repairs, installation, and service and provide both on-call and regularly-scheduled maintenance to keep your garage doors operating efficiently year-round.