Did you know that the first electric garage door opener was first introduced in 1926 by the Overhead Door Company? This was 5 years after the company invented the first overhead garage door. Back then, garage door openers were bulky and expensive. Today’s modern garage door openers are much smaller with sleek designs and can be equipped with WiFi capabilities that allow you to access your door from your mobile app, rolling code technology for better security, battery backups, automatic features, and more.
The different types of garage door openers
Although technology has greatly improved the garage door opener, there are two main components that stay consistent: the motor type and the drive type. There are two types of motors for garage door openers: AC and DC power.
Garage door opener motor types:
- Alternating current (AC) power – AC motors require more components, which make them louder, larger, and heavier than DC motors.
- Direct current (DC) power – DC motors offer the most power and are quieter, lighter, and allow more features like soft start and stop.
Garage door opener drive types:
The drive type is simply how your garage door moves the trolley along the guide to open and close the door. The different types of garage door opener drives include screw, chain, or belt.
- Screw drive – Screw drive openers are known for their power and speed, making them ideal for high-speed overhead doors for warehouses and commercial garages. At Overhead Door Company, our screw drive openers feature a direct drive system that transfers more power from the motor without using a gear reduction system.
- Chain drive – As the name implies, chain-driven openers use a chain to move the door open and close. Chain drives can be used for most garage doors and are an economical and reliable option as they’ve been around for many years.
- Belt drive – Belt-driven openers are some of the quietest on the market, making them ideal for residential garage doors. Belt openers are strong, durable, and produce less vibration.
The latest garage door opener products
Whether you’re building a new garage or you’re looking to upgrade your existing residential garage door opener, we have plenty of options that will suit your needs and your budget. Most of our garage door openers have Wi-Fi and smartphone control capabilities, vehicle system compatibility, optional battery backup, are DC-powered, and can be easily programmed.
The Infinity™ 2000 – A wall-mount opener with a unique side position ideal for garages where headroom space is limited. Equipped with a 24V DC motor, this garage opener is quiet and powerful with lifting capabilities of up to 850lbs.
The Destiny® 1500 – Equipped with a patented direct drive system that provides powerful, reliable, and quick operation, intended for use with sectional doors up to 14 ft. high and one-piece doors up to 8 ft high.
The Destiny® 1200 – Incredibly quiet and smooth with the option of a belt or chain drive. This garage door opener is powered by a 140V DC motor that can operate almost any garage door. The soft start and stop features reduce wear and tear and the monitoring system provides added safety.
The Odyssey® 1000 - Quiet yet powerful, the 140V DC motor on this opener operates with minimal noise and is available with either a belt or chain drive. Ideal for virtually all residential garage doors.
The Legacy® 920 – Perfect for residential doors weighing up to 500lbs, this compact opener is powered by a durable 24V DC with the choice of a belt or chain drive.
The Legacy® 850 – The 24V Power Plus DC motor technology used in this opener along with a C-channel rail allows for one of the quietest operations. Powerful, reliable, and compact for residential garage door use.
The Legacy® 650 - Offers the best value for residential sectional doors weighing up to 350 lbs. Equipped with a reliable 24V DC motor with a C-channel rail for quiet and smooth operation.
Where to find a new garage door opener
At Overhead Door Company, we offer top-quality products and can install, repair, and service all of your garage door components. Contact us for all of your residential and commercial garage door needs. We provide both on-call and regularly-scheduled maintenance to keep your garage doors operating efficiently year-round. With office locations in Lethbridge, Calgary & Cranbrook, you can count on us to be there when you need us.