A garage door system consists of two primary elements: the door and its opener. This article guides you through repairing both components, starting with the door itself. Overhead garage doors roll up in sections or swing up as a single piece powered by spring tension. These doors run along metal tracks attached to the garage’s walls, with heavy springs providing the necessary force. Often, when a garage door malfunctions, the fix is straightforward.
Tips and Tricks for DIY Residential Garage Door Repair
Your Steel Garage Door Won’t Close
Occasionally, your steel garage door might not close fully, often due to misaligned or obstructed photo eyes. These safety sensors emit an infrared beam, preventing the door from closing on any obstruction.
If your steel garage door reverses before it fully closes, check for these issues:
- Realign the pivot bracket to ensure the photo eyes are parallel.
- Clear any objects like tools or bikes that might interrupt the sensor’s infrared beam.
- Clean the photo eyes to remove dust, cobwebs, or moisture.
- Photo eyes are typically positioned about 6 inches above the ground on both sides of the door.
- Addressing these issues, which can be done in a few minutes, often resolves the problem and saves you a service call.
Quieting a Noisy Steel Garage Door
A noisy steel garage door can usually be silenced by addressing a few common issues:
- Lubricate the springs, roller bearings (if your rollers have metal wheels), hinges, and lift cables with a garage door-specific lubricant every few months. Avoid lubricating nylon rollers without bearings, as this could cause damage.
- Tighten any loose nuts and bolts on the door and track.
- Inspect and replace worn rollers or hinges.
Cleaning and Caring for Your Steel Garage Door
Regular cleaning not only boosts curb appeal but also extends the life of your steel garage door:
- Wash the door with mild dish soap and a soft cloth, sponge, or brush, then rinse thoroughly.
- To guard against corrosive elements and maintain the finish, apply a car wax spray to the door surface twice a year.
- Clean standard glass windows with a gentle cleaner like dish soap or vinegar solution. For Lexan or decorative windows, follow specific care instructions.
- While cleaning, remove debris from the track and lubricate all metal components.
- Consult your garage door’s care and maintenance guide for model-specific cleaning instructions.
When it’s Time to Call The Professionals
Residential garage door repair can be daunting and often best left to the professionals. If the cause of the problem isn’t evident, a professional opinion can save you from making a costly mistake trying to fix it on your own.
Garage and overhead doors feature intricate systems with tight springs, high-pressure bars, and powerful cables. To guarantee your safety, skilled professionals must conduct repairs. Improper repair attempts can worsen the problem, leading to more significant and expensive issues.
Choosing Overhead Door means selecting reliable service and the assurance of safety and quality. If you need professional garage door repair in Calgary, contact Overhead Door today.