One of the most common questions our clients ask about residential garage door installation is how long the process usually takes. Understandably, homeowners want to know how much time to carve out and what to expect during the installation.
When it comes to any overhead door installation, there really is no definitive answer. The length of the installation time depends on a few different factors, such as the size of the door, how complex the installation is, weather conditions, and more. After your initial consultation, our garage door technicians can give you an estimated time so you know what to expect.
Additionally, our technicians are CDI-trained and certified and can complete new garage door installations efficiently and with the highest standards of safety. At Overhead Door Company of Lethbridge, Calgary & Cranbrook, we follow the recommendations of the world-renowned Door & Access Systems Manufacturers Association (DASMA) – the leaders in safety, security, and performance in the industry.
Keep reading to learn more about the factors that affect how quickly your installation can be completed and how to prep your garage for a more efficient installation process.
The residential garage door installation process
The first thing a professional garage door installer will do is disassemble and remove the old door. The installation process of the replacement door may include placing new tracks, springs, cables, rollers, and a garage door opener.
The technician will then test the garage door system to ensure that it’s working safely and properly. This process alone can take about 4-6 hours. Depending on the success of the installation, your technician will either consider the job complete or need additional time to fix any issues.
Some details that can impact the installation time include:
- The size of the door – This is the most significant factor that affects the length of time of a garage door replacement. Naturally, smaller doors are quicker to install. However, the job will typically take longer to complete if there are any modifications needed to fit the door in place.
- The type of installation – As mentioned above, it can take roughly 4-6 hours to replace most garage door systems. On the other hand, a garage door replacement that is compatible with the existing structure will generally be a much simpler install.
- Weather conditions – In Calgary, a cold and snowy winter day may make working conditions difficult. Garage door installations are typically more efficient on a day with pleasant weather conditions.
How to ensure a hassle-free residential garage door installation
As a homeowner, you won’t be required to do any of the work, of course. In fact, we highly recommend that all garage door installations and extensive maintenance or repair only be done by a trained and certified professional.
With that said, there are certain steps you can take to make the process smoother. Before your garage door technician arrives, be sure to:
- Remove all vehicles and large equipment from the garage.
- Clear the work area by the garage door of any items like bikes, garden hoses, and shovels.
- Make sure children and pets stay away from the garage during the installation process.
As a final thought, if you suspect that your garage door needs replacement, we recommend refraining from inspecting the springs, wiring, or tinkering with the opener. Garage door systems come with high-tension springs and heavy equipment that require certain tools.
For your safety, leave your residential garage door installation and services to us. As the original garage door company, we are the experts in our field and will make sure the process goes as smoothly as possible. Contact us today for a quote or consultation!