Choosing the right type of residential garage door is not as straightforward as it may seem. First, location, climate, and certain codes need to be taken into consideration. You also want to look at different materials, certain features like insulation, and of course – your budget.
Another important factor to take into account is the garage door company that you work with, which can truly make or break your overall experience. You want to choose a company that knows their product, won’t try to sell you something that you don’t need, and can make expert recommendations so you can make a sound decision.
The Overhead Door Company is the original garage door brand, operating since 1921! We service Calgary and surrounding areas, Lethbridge, and Cranbrook with quality products, overhead door repairs and service, replacements, and new installations.
Selecting the right residential garage door
There are 3 styles of residential garage doors to be familiar with:
- Carriage house
The style of garage door you choose makes a significant difference in the overall aesthetics of your home’s exterior, especially if your garage door is front-facing. Keep in mind that a new garage door increases your home’s curb appeal and value when you’re ready to sell, which makes the investment quite worthwhile in the long run.
In Alberta, insulated garage doors are favourable and highly desirable. The insulation keeps cold air out and warm air in during the winter months and maintains a comfortable interior temperature during the summer months. This contributes to lower energy bills and a pleasant home environment overall.
Different material types for residential garage doors
The 3 most common material types for garage doors are wood, steel, or fibreglass for their strength and durability. Each material offers various price points and benefits:
- Aluminum – Lightweight and corrosion-resistant, aluminum garage doors place less stress on springs and tracks because of it’s lighter weight and is a low-maintenance option.
- Fibreglass – Fibreglass garage doors are also a lightweight option that are more cost-effective than other materials. It can also mimic the look of wood without the maintenance.
- Steel – If you’re looking for durability, strength, and weather protection, a steel garage door is the ideal choice for you. Steel is one of the most commonly used materials for residential garage doors because of the plethora of benefits the material provides.
- Vinyl – Vinyl garage doors are extremely resistant to rust and damage and are made up of a composite of different materials. It’s a very affordable option that requires very little maintenance.
- Wind load – Wind load garage doors are typically made of two layers of steel with polyurethane foam insulation in-between. They are engineered to withstand high winds and harsh weather conditions.
- Wood collection – Wooden garage doors offer limitless customization options and are considered one of the strongest materials. Although wood requires more maintenance, the payback is a timeless and beautiful garage door that is often duplicated but can’t be matched.
With the various styles and materials to choose from, it can be difficult to settle on a design. If you’re unsure, take advantage of our Garage Door Designer App where you can take a picture of your garage door and play around with colours, materials, and styles to help you find the one that really stands out to you.
Choosing the right residential garage door style and material takes some thought, but you don’t have to do it alone. We’re here to provide you with tips and expert recommendations during the process.
Contact us for all of your residential garage door needs. We provide both on-call and regularly-scheduled maintenance to keep your garage doors operating efficiently year-round. With office locations in Lethbridge, Calgary, and Cranbrook, you can count on us to be here when you need us.