When a garage door suddenly stops working or becomes damaged, you might think that a full replacement is needed. However, that’s not always the case. Garage doors are built to last for years so if yours is fairly new (less than 10 years old) and has some issues, it might be a simple repair.
The only way to know for sure is to have a professional garage door technician assess the door and make a recommendation. In the meantime, here are some telltale signs that your garage door can be repaired or if it needs to be completely replaced.
Garage door issues that can be repaired
- The door won’t open – This can be due to a number of reasons that are generally easy to fix, including a malfunctioning opener, dead remote batteries, a misaligned track, or some sort of disconnection.
- The door is making strange noises when operated – A grinding or squeaking noise may indicate that the tracks need lubrication. If you hear rattling, the issue might be loose screws or a loose chain drive. A popping noise can be a sign that the springs need replacing. The good news is, strange noises aren’t usually a sign that your garage door needs replacing.
- The door sags on one side – If your garage door sags on one side while opening or there’s a bit of space between the door and the floor when closed, this is typically due to an imbalance. This is also a simple fix that a garage door technician is able to do quickly and safely.
Reasons you may need a garage door replacement
- The door is old – If your garage door is older than 15 years, a garage door replacement will avoid future issues and it may be the more cost-effective route to go. For example, an old garage door with consistent problems will need repeat servicing whereas investing in a new garage door translates to fewer repairs and peace of mind that you have a new, reliable door.
- There is extensive damage – A single damaged panel is a simple fix. However, if the garage door is quite damaged, it will need to be replaced. A garage door with extensive damage is a safety and security concern, as it’s an easy point of entry for intruders.
- You want to increase the value of your home – Many homeowners choose to upgrade their garage door if they’re looking to increase their home’s value. A new garage door is a great strategy to enhance curb appeal if you’re looking to sell your home in the near future, especially if the garage door is front-facing.
Contact Overhead Doors for all of your residential and commercial garage door needs. We provide both on-call and regularly-scheduled maintenance to keep your garage doors operating efficiently year-round. With office locations in Lethbridge, Calgary & Cranbrook you can count on us to be here when you need us!