Steel is the most popular choice for a residential garage door material because of its overall value and endless design options. A steel residential garage door is a more affordable alternative to natural wood while still providing strength, durability, and insulation options to boost your garage door’s thermal efficiency.
While there are other garage door material options available, this article is all about the advantages of a steel door.
Why choose steel for your residential garage door?
- Thermal efficiency – For residents of Lethbridge, Calgary & Cranbrook (and basically all of Alberta) where weather conditions fluctuate from extreme cold to a warm Chinook blast, having an insulated garage door is key for maintaining a comfortable internal temperature. Insulated steel doors help keep the cold out and the heat in during winter and keep the warm air away during the summer months. This means your HVAC system is not working harder than it should, leading to lower energy bills!
- Affordability – Not only do steel doors help save you money on utilities, but they also cost significantly less to install than wooden doors. Even with the customizations, a steel residential garage door is one of the most budget-friendly materials to choose from.
- Strength and durability – The name says it all – steel doors are as strong as, well, steel! This material will not warp, decay, or crack. Furthermore, if you choose a wind load steel residential garage door, you have a product that can withstand some of the harshest conditions and elements that our Canadian climate is known for.
- Plenty of design and style options – From colour to door style, number of windows, texture, finish, panels, glass type, hardware, and more – the customization options are endless when it comes to steel garage doors. You can even design a steel garage door that resembles the classic beauty of wood, without the maintenance. Designing a garage door that matches the overall look of your residence can seriously boost your home’s curb appeal and value!
- Enhanced security – Because steel is one of the strongest materials for a garage door, it can enhance the safety of your home. Additionally, a steel door can provide your home with a fire-resistant exit in the event of an emergency.
Steel residential garage door collection
At Overhead Door Company of Lethbridge, Calgary & Cranbrook, we have 6 steel collections to choose from – each offering different designs, colours, and styles that will perfectly complement your home’s aesthetics.
Allura® Model 653RX – This door and operator system provides security from the street into your driveway for enhanced safety. The UL 325 is the first of its kind, providing an exterior shutter for residential applications that restricts access to the driveway. This exterior door design can be fully solid for security or perforated or fenestrated for visual access. Comes with a battery backup to allow for operation in the event of an outage
The Allura residential exterior shutter system can come in White, Almond, Silver, or Bronze with an impressive selection of 200 PowerGuard Premium powder coat finish options to choose from.
Courtyard Collection® – The beauty of wood with the durability of steel – and without the maintenance of a traditional wooden garage door! The Courtyard Collection® is designed to resemble the elegance of carriage house doors combined with insulated steel construction and an R-value of 12.76.
Choose from a range of colours to match your home, including White, Almond, Desert Tan, Sandstone, Brown, Terra Bronze, Hunter Green, Gray, and Black. You can customize your Courtyard Collection® residential garage door with various designs options, window styles, hardware, and glass types to truly make it unique.
Impression Steel Collection® – Looking for a dramatic effect with large windows and a versatile design? Our Impression Steel Collection® features 7’ doors with large steel embossments for a bold look and one of the largest garage door window options on the market. Polyurethane insulation between 2 layers of corrosion-resistant steel provides an R-value of 12 with wind load options available.
Standard finishes include White, Almond, Sandstone, and Brown. Choose from Premium finishes in Gray, Desert Tan, Terra Bronze, and Black. Wood Grain finishes come in Weathered Gray and Red Walnut.
Thermacore® – If you’re looking for maximum thermal efficiency, Thermacore residential garage doors are a perfect choice. Polyurethane insulation is sandwiched between 2 corrosion-resistant steel layers along with seals and thermal breaks in between the sections to further reduce air infiltration. With the constant temperature changes in Alberta, this collection can offer enhanced comfort and protection from the elements of your home.
Customize your Thermacore® residential garage door with a wide range of Painted colour finishes including White, Almond, Desert Tan, Sandstone, Brown, Terra Bronze, Hunter Green, Gray, and Black. Mimic the look of traditional wood with textured finishes like Golden Oak, Walnut, and Mission Oak. Looking for a more contemporary look? Choose from modern metallic finishes including Silver, Black Frost, or Dark Bronze.
Carriage House Collection – Imagine the elegance of a traditional carriage house architecture with the benefits of insulated steel construction. Elegance and strength – this is what our Carriage House Collection boasts with 7’ doors featuring a 3-section design and 8’ doors featuring a 4-section design. As charming as it is durable, this option is popular for homes with a farmhouse appeal. Wind load options are available for even greater protection against harsh elements.
Colour customizations include Painted finishes in White, Gray, Clay, Green, White/Gray, White/Clay, White/Green. Choose from Stained finishes in Mahogany, Walnut, Oak, Green, Gray, Clay, Honduran/Mahogany, and Red Oak
Traditional Steel – Our traditional steel collection is one of the most affordable options yet at Overhead Door Company of Lethbridge, Calgary & Cranbrook. Made with quality materials and tested to resist impact from high winds, this residential garage door option boasts long-lasting performance and classic garage door designs.
Choose from a Walnut or Mission Oak wood grain finish and simple neutral colours to match – White, Almond, Desert Tan, Taupe, or Brown.
Designing your steel residential garage door
Having an endless amount of design, style, and colour options to choose from is great, but it can also be overwhelming! A garage door, especially a front-facing one, takes up quite a bit of real estate in your home and can impact your house’s curb appeal significantly.
Designing a residential garage door is not an easy task. To help you, we recommend using our DoorView® Garage Door Designer. This interactive tool helps you visualize what the style, colour, and different customization details will look like and how it blends with your home’s aesthetics.
Once you have an idea of what you want your residential garage door to look like, don’t hesitate to contact us for all of your residential garage door needs. As the original garage door company that has been operating since 1921, we can offer expert recommendations and will always give you honest advice.
We provide both on-call and regularly-scheduled maintenance to keep your garage doors operating efficiently year-round. With locations in Lethbridge, Calgary & Cranbrook and you can count on us to be here when you need us.